Question About Food Safe Clay
Hi Steve! I'm just starting out and have a question!
I'm brand new to pottery and have a question. I'm planning to make myself dishes, bowls and mugs for my own use, but I need to know if there is a certain kind of "non toxic" clay to use so I don't end up poisoning myself..Or is it more or less the glaze that matters?
First off, congratulations on choosing to make your own set of dinnerware. That's going to be a lot of fun.
The answer is Yes, you do need to make sure that you are using a food safe non-toxic clay. Fortunately, most clays these days are non-toxic, but always check with the manufacturer before using it.
You are also correct in saying that the glazes are critical when dealing with food.
First, make sure it is a food safe, non-toxic glaze. Be sure there is no lead or cobalt or other stuff like that.
Second, the glaze surface is important. There should not be holes or cracks or pits in the surface as these tend to trap bacteria that is tough to kill.
Primarily, though, be sure the glaze is certified non-toxic and food safe by the manufacturer.
Good luck, and please send me pictures so I can share them with other readers!!!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Contact Steve.